Looking for a fantastic way to dive into your favorite stories without actually flipping through pages? Well, you’re in luck! In 2023, the world of audiobooks has never been more vibrant and accessible. Whether you’re commuting, relaxing at home, or just want to multitask while enjoying a good read, audiobook sites have got you covered. From well-known platforms like Audible and Libro.fm to subscription services like Scribd and Audiobooks.com, there’s an audiobook paradise waiting for you. So, buckle up as we explore the best audiobook sites of 2023 researched by Techpotamus – your ticket to a world of literary adventures for your ears!
Audible: Amazing Audio Book Site
Audible is a super popular way to enjoy books using your ears. In 2022, it’s the biggest audiobook service around, with over 200,000 different books to pick from. It’s like a huge library for your ears! Amazon owns it, so that’s why it’s so big. You can find books about everything you can think of.
Listening to books is easy with Audible. You can do a few things:
- Buy, Stream, or Rent: You can buy books, listen to them online, or rent them. You choose!
- Offline Listening: If you download a book, you can listen even if you’re not connected to the internet.
- Try for Free: When you start, they give you a 30-day free trial. You get two regular books and two special Audible books to listen to.
- Monthly Bonuses: Every month, you’ll get two more special Audible books. Cool, right?
- Savings: Members get 30% off on all books. Save money while you listen.
- Keep Your Books: Even if you decide to stop using Audible, you can still keep the books you got.
- Easy Progress Tracking: Audible remembers where you stopped in a book. Just press play, and you’re back where you left off.
- Exchange and Return: Don’t like a book? You can swap it for another one. No problem.
- Huge Library: Audible has more than 200,000 different books. You’ll also find special Audible books that you won’t find anywhere else.
- Podcast Ads: Maybe you’ve heard about Audible in podcasts. It’s as good as they say.
So, Audible is like a big audiobook store that’s always open for your ears. If you like books but want to listen instead of read, it’s a great way to do it!
LibriVox – a really cool place to listen to audiobooks without spending a single penny. Imagine having access to hundreds of audiobooks spanning different categories like stories, facts, learning, and motivation. And the best part? It won’t cost you a dime! LibriVox is unique because all its audiobooks are from the public domain, which means they’re kind of like old classics that you can enjoy for free. These books are read by awesome volunteers, so it’s like a big community of book lovers sharing stories.
Now, LibriVox might not have as many audiobooks as some other fancy services, but it’s a treasure trove of classics. You can find summaries and sample readings for each audiobook, so you’ll know what you’re diving into.
But let’s be real, LibriVox has a couple of quirks. The audiobooks aren’t recorded by pros, so sometimes the sound quality isn’t top-notch. And yes, the collection isn’t as massive as some other places, but it’s got that old-world charm.
If you’re not up for shelling out cash every month for audiobook subscriptions, LibriVox is like your audiobook buddy. It’s a free haven for book buffs! How do they do it? Well, they only have books that don’t have copyright anymore, like super old ones. That means you can listen to some awesome stories from way back when.
One super cool thing is that folks from all over the globe can volunteer to read these books. Sometimes even famous people or authors join in the fun.
Sure, LibriVox might not have as much as the big shots, but it’s your go-to spot for classic reads. You can download the audiobooks or listen on your computer. And if you’re a smartphone person, there are apps made by other folks that let you tap into LibriVox’s treasure chest.
So, if you’re into old-timey tales and don’t want to empty your wallet, LibriVox is the place to be. Free audiobooks? That’s music to your ears!
Google Audiobooks – a way to dive into stories without a monthly subscription. You get to pick and own the audiobooks you want from their huge collection, and you can listen using the Google Play Books app.
So, what’s cool about Google Audiobooks?
- Timer Magic: There’s a timer feature that stops the book after a while. Perfect for when you’re listening at bedtime and don’t want to lose your spot if you doze off.
- Speedy Reading: If the narrator’s voice is taking its sweet time, you can speed it up.
- Yours Forever: Once you buy a book, it’s yours to keep forever.
- Synced Progress: Your reading progress syncs across all your gadgets. No losing your place!
- No Monthly Fees: No need to pay a monthly fee. You pay for what you want to listen to.
- Easy Listening: No need to download an app if you don’t want to. Just listen through your browser.
Now, what’s not that great about Google Audiobooks?
- No Freebies: There’s hardly any free stuff here.
- Pricey Picks: Sometimes, the books are pricier than other places like Audible.
Google Audiobooks came on the scene in 2018, not as famous as Audible, but it’s got its own style. It stands out because you buy audiobooks one by one – no monthly fees needed. Our investigation shows that it’s often cheaper than Audible’s monthly deal if you only listen to a few books a year.
Sure, its library isn’t as massive as Audible’s, but there are still loads of audiobooks in the Google Play store. You can enjoy them on Android devices, Chromecast products, and even Apple gadgets with the Google Audiobook app.
For the ultimate experience, try using Google Audiobooks on a device with Google Assistant, like Google Home. You can control your listening with your voice – skipping chapters or changing speed without touching a button.
So, if you’re not into monthly payments and want to choose your audiobooks, Google Audiobooks might be your go-to. Just remember, it might not have as much free stuff, but you’ll get to own the stories you love. Happy listening!
- cess to millions of eBooks and audiobooks right away.
- Budget-Friendly: The subscription costs just $9.99 a month, cheaper than many others like Audible.
- Extra Credits: Need more? You can buy extra credits each month.
- Smart Recommendations: Kobo suggests books based on your reading list.
- Previews and Reviews: Book previews and reviews help you choose your next adventure.
- Sync Magic: Your bookmarks hop between your devices, so you’ll never lose your place.
But, wait, there are a couple of bumps too:
- Lost in Chapters: Finding your spot in the book can be confusing. Kobo counts stuff that’s not really chapters, messing up the count.
- Narration Switch: Narrators might change mid-chapter, and the app doesn’t warn you. It can be a bit of a jolt.
- Page Turning Delay: Sometimes there’s a little pause when you want to flip the page.
Kobo, based in Toronto, makes cool e-readers. Just like their gadgets give Amazon a run for their money, Kobo is taking on Audible with audiobooks.
You can buy individual books from the Kobo store, just like Audible. Price-wise, Kobo is usually friendlier on the wallet, but there might be some regional restrictions.
The real gem of Kobo? Its subscription model. For $9.99 a month (way cheaper than a lot of others), you get a universal credit for a book every month. It’s like bookish happiness on a budget.
Worried the Kobo audiobook collection won’t tickle your fancy? No stress. You get a free 30-day trial to explore. So, you’ve got nothing to lose.
Kobo might not be the big elephant in the room like Audible, but it’s got its perks. So, if you’re a book lover on a budget, give Kobo a whirl. Happy reading (or should I say, listening)!
it’s like Kobo and Audible’s cousin. You pay a monthly fee, and in return, you get a shiny credit every month to grab almost any audiobook from Downpour’s collection. They claim that more than 97% of their stash can be yours with just one credit.
Now, no matter where you’re hanging out in the world, Downpour’s subscription sets you back $12.99 per month. It’s kinda like a middle-ground between Kobo and Audible.
Downpour comes from Blackstone Audio, a big name in audiobooks. With around 30,000 titles to choose from, you’ve got an audiobook paradise right at your fingertips.
But, here’s the twist – Downpour’s shopping isn’t as flashy. While you can enjoy the audiobooks using their app, you’ve got to make purchases through your computer browser.
Why do people heart Downpour?
- Wishlist Wonder: You can keep a list of books you want to hear.
- Speed It Up: Adjust the narrator’s speed. Fast talker or slow, it’s your call.
- Nap Time Helper: They’ve got a sleep timer. Set it to snooze after a certain time.
- Cheap Rentals: You can rent titles from just $1.99. And guess what? They won’t gobble your monthly credit.
- Extra Credit: Want more? You can buy extra credits every month.
- Stash Saver: Credits stick around for a year. So, if you’re not book-binging, no worries.
- App or Browser: You can use Downpour on your app or computer browser.
- Genres Galore: With 22 genres and loads of subcategories, finding your dream audiobook is easy.
- Review Check: You can peek at reviews right in the app.
- Support Savvy: Customer support is quick and helpful.
Now, the hiccups:
- Smaller Library: They’ve got around 80,000 titles, which is smaller than other places.
- Pricey: At $12.99 a month, it’s pricier than Kobo.
- Single Credit Life: You get just one credit each month, no more, no less.
- Search Struggle: Less search categories in the app compared to the browser.
- No Returns: Uh-oh, you can’t return a book if it’s not your jam.
- Not 24/7: Customer support isn’t around all day, every day.
So there you have it. Downpour is like your audiobook buddy, but with a few quirks. If you’re all about enjoying a good listen every month, give it a spin. Just remember, it might not be as flashy as its cousins, but it’s got its charm. Happy audiobook hunting!
Hoopla – a super handy app that’s like your library on your phone. It connects to your local library and lets you borrow around 10 to 20 cool things each month. It depends on how your library rolls.
Why Hoopla is awesome:
- More Than Audiobooks: It’s not just audiobooks, my friend. You can snag eBooks, music, comics, TV shows, and even movies.
- Instant Gratification: No waiting around for weeks or months. You can borrow stuff right away. No holds, no fuss.
- Phone or Laptop: Whether you’re on your phone or laptop, you’re good to go. Borrow, stream, and enjoy.
- Easy Peasy: The app is simple to use, and everything’s neatly organized. No hunting around.
- Chill Borrowing Time: You get three weeks for audiobooks and around three days for movies. Enough time to enjoy!
- Lots to Choose: There’s a massive library – over 500,000 titles. They keep it fresh with new stuff popping in regularly.
- Offline Bliss: Want to save data? You can download stuff to listen or watch offline.
- No Fees, No Fuss: The app is totally free, and guess what? No late fees or fines. Phew!
A couple of things to watch out for:
- Borrowing Limit: You can only borrow a set number of things each month. Even if you didn’t quite dive into something or accidentally picked the wrong thing, it still counts.
- No Highlighting: You can’t highlight stuff in eBooks. Just a heads-up.
- Library Limits: Some libraries might have daily borrowing limits on top of your monthly limit.
Using Hoopla, you can go beyond just audiobooks, diving into a treasure trove of eBooks, music, comics, TV shows, and movies. No waiting – borrow instantly, either on your phone or laptop. It’s a breeze to navigate with a well-organized catalog. Plus, you’ve got some sweet borrowing times – three weeks for audiobooks and a few days for movies. Keep it offline too! But watch out, there’s a borrowing limit each month, and highlighting isn’t a thing in eBooks. Still, no fees, no worries, just loads of free goodies!
So, Hoopla’s like your digital library buddy, giving you books, music, shows, and more – all for free. It’s perfect for people who like to switch things up and don’t want to wait around. Give it a shot and enjoy the library on your fingertips!
Audiobooks.com – a cool place where you can listen to books with your ears. It’s like a big library for your headphones.
At Audiobooks.com, you sign up and get to pick from a bunch of audiobooks. They’ve got thousands of them, from exciting adventures to relaxing romances. You can listen to them on your phone, tablet, or even your computer. It’s like having your personal storyteller wherever you go!
What’s neat about Audiobooks.com?
- Big Audiobook Collection: They’ve got a massive pile of audiobooks waiting for you. No shortage of stories!
- Easy Listening: You can enjoy your audiobooks on different gadgets – no fuss.
- Monthly Subscription: They offer a subscription. You pay a bit every month and get to listen to as many audiobooks as you want.
- Free Trial: You can try it out first with a free trial. It’s like a sneak peek into a world of stories.
- Bookmark Magic: Audiobooks.com remembers where you stopped, so you don’t have to find your place every time.
- Custom Recommendations: They help you find new books you might like based on what you’ve listened to before.
Of course, nothing’s perfect, right? So here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Monthly Cost: The subscription has a cost. It’s like having access to a library, but you pay a little each month.
- Internet Needed: You need an internet connection to listen. No internet, no audiobooks.
- Can’t Keep Them: When you stop the subscription, you might not be able to listen to the books anymore.
But all in all, if you’re a big fan of stories and want to listen to books wherever you go, Audiobooks.com is a cool spot to explore. It’s like having a magical portal to a world of tales right in your pocket!
Looking for a cool way to dive into stories, learn new things, or simply unwind with some good music? Well, let me tell you about Scribd – one of the best audiobook sites as it’s like a treasure trove of entertainment and knowledge right at your fingertips!
Scribd might not be as famous as Audible, but it’s definitely a worthy contender. Back in the day, it kicked off with e-books as its main thing. But guess what? Now it’s got a whole bunch of awesome stuff to offer, like audiobooks that make you feel like you’re in the middle of the action, interesting magazines that keep you in the know, and even sheet music for the musical souls out there.
Here’s the cool part – you can use Scribd in two super easy ways. You can either hop on your computer and use it right in your web browser, or if you’re more of a “on-the-go” kind of person, there’s an app for your phone or tablet. So whether you’re chilling at home or out and about, Scribd’s got your back.
Ever been in a spot with no internet? No worries! Scribd lets you download your favorite audiobooks and other stuff to listen to offline. So, imagine this: you’re on a road trip, or maybe you’re just on a bus, and you’re lost in a gripping story – all without using up your precious data. Nice, right?
Oh, and check this out: they’ve got this nifty thing called a “sleep timer.” It’s like telling your audiobook, “Hey, play for 30 minutes, and then let me drift off to dreamland.” No need to worry about turning it off yourself – it’s like magic!
Here’s the scoop on the price – it’s just $9.99 a month. And for that, you can gobble up all the audiobooks, e-books, magazines, and sheet music you can handle. Plus, they’re generous enough to give you a whole month to try it all out for free. Yep, you heard that right – a whole month of endless stories and knowledge to soak up.
One more thing to note is that you can use Scribd on lots of different gadgets. So, whether you’re team Apple, Android, or something else, they’ve got you covered.
But hey, let’s keep it real – there’s a little catch. If you decide Scribd isn’t your thing anymore and cancel your subscription, you won’t get to keep the audiobooks or e-books. It’s like borrowing from a friend – once you’re done, you give it back.
So there you have it, the lowdown on Scribd. It’s a pocket-friendly way to immerse yourself in stories, expand your knowledge, and just enjoy some quality entertainment. Give it a shot, and who knows, you might just find your next favorite audiobook waiting for you!
So there you have it, fellow bookworms! As we roll into 2023, the world of audiobook sites is bustling with options that’ll leave you spoiled for choice. Whether you’re diving into the treasure trove of Audible’s vast collection, exploring the charming indie offerings on Libro.fm, or immersing yourself in the unlimited realm of stories with services like Scribd and Audiobooks.com, the year is ripe for literary feasting for your ears. So grab those headphones, kick back, and let your imagination run wild as you embark on an audiobook adventure like no other. Happy listening!